Enjoy this pattern that I have found is the easiest one to start with for harem pants that can go under costumes, as character pants for ren faires, and great for class wear in Belly Dance. Click on the picture to print and expand to view…just two pieces sewn together and you can make to fit you exactly…the best thing is, you do not have to be an amazing seamstress…this is super simple.
Costume Tip from the Sheikhani Dance Troupe of Colorado Springs (thanks)
Easy Harem Pants
- Measure the length from your hip to the floor and add 3 inches. Multiply this number by 2 (to have enough fabric for both legs!). Then divide by 36 to find the number of yards of fabric to purchase. A 45 inch wide fabric will make “normal” harem pants; wider fabric will make the pants correspondingly fuller.
- Purchase 1 inch wide elastic for the hip casing, and 1/2 inch wide elastic for the ankle casings.
- Cut the fabric length in half. Lay the two pieces of fabric on top of each other, right sides up; if the fabric has nap or a one way design, be sure that the direction is maintained (i.e., don’t put the “bottom” edge of one piece on the “top” edge of the other piece). Now fold the 2 layers of fabric in half lengthwise. You now have 4 layers of fabric, with 4 selvage edges together (see drawing).
- Starting about 8 inches in from the selvage edges, cut a crotch about 10 inches deep (see drawing).
- Fold each leg in half, right sides together. Sew the inside seams of each leg piece.
- Put the two leg pieces together, with the right sides of the fabric together. Sew the crotch seam.
- Turn under a 1.25 inch casing on the hip edge, and a 3/4 inch casing on each ankle edge; stitch.
- Insert elastic and stitch the elastic ends. Finish off the casings. You’re done!